Sunday, June 13, 2010

Random photo tip: label your camera gear

I've lost plenty of camera accessories over the years, surely amounting to hundreds of dollars worth of lens caps, hoods, cable releases, etc. Sometimes I accidentally leave them on location, especially when I'm out in the dark. Other times the gear simply gets mixed up when I'm shooting with friends (interestingly, I never seem to end up with their stuff in my bag!!).

I finally smartened up a while ago and bought a label maker from an office supply store for about $40. I spit out dozens of labels with my website address and stuck them on every piece of gear I own.  It's a cheap insurance policy that pays for itself quickly!




7 comments:

  1. So that's why a lot of my equipment has your name on it!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig9:31 PM

    I take the stuff you don't label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, I forgot to metion a related tip: carry spare labels with you, slap them on your friends gear and clame it as your own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig, I must admit to wanting to leave the country with the 800/5.6 and never come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good tip Ethan. I have one of those label makers, but hadn't thought of this use. I wouldn't expect a misplaced lens to find its way home, but the good samaratans out there surely would return the accessories.
    -Russ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of climbing with my friends back in the day. No tape label? It's free booty!

    ReplyDelete