Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Georgian Bay


Photo 1: A touboat passes a Georgian Bay vista in Bruce Peninsula National Park. EOS 1DsIII; 24-70/2.8; Singh-Ray 2 stop hard edge ND grad (4x6" size)

I'm currently up in the Georgian Bay area shooting a tourism assignment and having fun visiting my favourite photo locations and connecting with old friends. It's been a busy week taking care of all the logistics for the assignment.... coordinating models, locations, support, etc... but the photos are starting to come together.

I just bought a Canon EOS 5D mark II for a secondary/backup body..... my initial impression after a couple days is that it's an amazing camera. More about it later. I also replaced my waterlogged Canon G9 with a new point & shoot. The G10 was high on my mind until a friend at the FotoArt camera store in Owen Sound put a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 in my hands. I became enamoured with it. Why? It's shockproof, waterproof, easy to use, 12MP and bright blue. It should be fairly difficult for me to lose or destroy, at least that's what I'm hoping. Why do I carry a point & shoot? To capture shots of me in the field, and to spare the risk of pulling out an expensive SLR after a couple bottles of wine at a party.


Photo 2: Photographer on Georgian Bay shoreline in Bruce Peninsula National Park. EOS 1DSIII; 17-40mm lens; Singh-Ray LB Colorcombo polarizer & 2 stop hard edge ND grad (4x6")


Photo 3: Photographer silhouette at sunset. EOS 1DsIII; 70-200/2.8 lens


Photo 4: Friends admiring a Georgian Bay sunset. EOS 1DSIII; 24-70/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer & 2 stop hard edge ND grad (4x6")


Photo 5: Using my new point & shoot camera to photograph the best-patch of Showy Lady's Slippers I've ever seen. [don't ask where, I'm sworn to secrecy on these]. EOS 1DSIII; 24-70mm lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:19 AM

    Great photos Ethan. Can't believe the Lady's Slippers are in full bloom still. Good luck with the new point and shoot, hope it lasts longer than previous one.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. For $50, I'll tell people where the slippers are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful technical data.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great cluster - biggest group I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photos, I also love to take pictures of places that I visit and visited, but my real passion is watch pictures of the universe, all the amazing things that are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Great informative article! Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of information. I certainly appreciate the effort! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It's looking awesome..... Great information, Thanks very much for sharing such an amazing blog post. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that this post is like are reading about god.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,
    This is really great to be here.... Very interesting blog post found on your blog. Thanks a lot for the share.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing those great shots. Very pretty made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice information. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked your blog and would like to know more about the topic.

    ReplyDelete