Friday, March 06, 2009

Death Valley landscapes

The past couple of days in Death Valley have been great! I've been shooting my favorite type of images... wide-angle landscapes with cool foregrounds. Death Valley is an outstanding place to to make these kinds of images. I've been photographing with with my friend Walt Anderson and his wife Carol. Walt is the inventor of the Better Beamer flash extender. Everyone who uses flash with a long lens should have one of these (no, Walt did not bribe me with beer to say that!).

These two photos were taken with an EOS 1DsIII and the 17-40mm lens. If I had to be stuck with one type of lens for the rest of my life, it would definitely be a wide-angle... they are so much fun to shoot!

Photo 1: Sunrise at Salt Creek
Singh-Ray LB Colorcombo polarizer & 3 stop hard edge ND grad
Exposure: 1.6 seconds at f/20; ISO 200; mirror lock-up and cable release


Photo 2: Sunset over Badwater Basin (lowest spot in the US)
Singh-Ray LB Colorcombo polarizer & 2 stop hard edge ND grad
Exposure: 2.5 seconds at f/20; ISO 200; mirror lock-up and cable release


No comments:

Post a Comment