Saturday, March 21, 2009

Coastal Old-Growth Forest



This week marks 5 months that I've been on the road. Time flies! With spring fast approaching, the intensity of the trip - and shooting - is increasing. The last couple of days in particular have been exhausting, with far too much driving. I just returned to southern Cali to drop off some camera gear for service at Canon. It was hard to leave northern Calironia and Oregon, my time up there was far too short. Photographing in the coastal old-growth redwood forests of northern Cali was a dream for me..... few places have left me in such awe. The mornings I spent wandering those forests were spiritual experiences.

I'm way behind in editing and processing all the photos, but I wanted to make a quick blog post with some photos I sent to my family. It's difficult to convey the immense size of trees in the redwood forests, so I jumped into many of the photos for scale.

Will post some more photos when I get caught up on sleep and work!

All photos taken with EOS 1DsIII; 17-40mm or 24-70mm lenses and Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer



8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 AM

    1st photo is awesome!! 2nd photo the VW looks like a bug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Love the last picture Ethan, looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in old growth forest in Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. It is indeed a spiritual experience when you think of what's come and gone in the lifetime of those trees. Really like the first one. I think you captured the "spirit" very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:15 PM

    WOW - what an incredible place! One more for my list of places to visit some day...
    It sounds like you felt the way I did when hiking in Alberta studying geologic unconformities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Cool stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you got some shots from climbing inside that log! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time does fly when you are immersed in your passion. Kudos that you have achieved so much. I also did a photography road trip back in 2003-2004 but decided after six months to settle into a home again. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I hope to do something like that again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Its really very interesting information found here... Your blog is really very amazing.... Nice snaps Thanks for sharing it. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete