Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wetland birds

The evening light was sweet yesterday, but I was struggling to escape the gravitational pull of my couch. Thankfully my photo mojo won out and I drove to a nearby wetland to see what I could find. To my pleasant surprise, there was an unusually cooperative Spotted Sandpiper - a species that has alluded my camera lens for about a decade (I've seen tons, but they always take off before I can get a photo). This bird stayed put for 10 minutes for me. I shot about 120 photos as it walked around the open weed mats in great evening light.

To finish the night off there were several Marsh Wrens engaged in a territorial battle - singing back and forth to each other. They too obliged for my camera lens.

It pays to get out - there's always something to shoot!

All taken with EOS 1DsmIII, 500/4 IS and 1.4x or 2x teleconvertors.
ISO 400.




3 comments:

  1. Lucky shot Ethan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Great shot, indeed.

    A general question for you: how do you keep track of and organize all your shots? If you are running Windows, which software do you use?

    I have Canon 30D and it came with ZoomBrowser (ZB). What bugs me about ZB is that it gets horribly slow when there are lots of folders and subfolders. This is because it tries to show thumbnails of everything (e.g. lots of tiny thumbnails of everything inside each folder). Any advice on software (preferably economical) which enables sorting and viewing of images would be great.

    I already have Adobe Photoshop CS2 for when there is retouching to do (which I do only rarely). All I need is something that lets me weed through pictures quickly and organize them efficiency. What do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,
    Ask a dozen photographers how they manage their photo colleciton and you'll get a dozen different answers! Here's how I do it:

    I file all of my photos in a heirarchal folder system that's intuitive to use and expandable as I add new subjects. Suppose I shoot the Grand Canyon... I would create a folder called "Grand Canyon", which would be filed uner "Arizona" which in turn falls under my a high level "US Landscapes" folder.

    Within my subject folders, I store the RAW files and any that I've converted to TIFFS. All my jpeg previews go in a parallel folder system.

    I use Breezebrowser Pro software for browsing and initial culling. It's lightening fast at generating the images.... and quite easy to use. When I want to do a RAW conversion or other work on a photo, I have Breezebrowser set so I just click on the photo and it launches me right into Photoshop for image editing.


    Hope this helps!
    Ethan-

    ReplyDelete