Sunday, February 04, 2007

Whooping Crane catastrophe

UPDATE:
Good news - 1 of the cranes was found alive. Follow the link at the bottom for the updates. They are asking people to consider making an $18 donation ($1 for each crane) to support the recovery work - a most excellent cause.
-------
ORIGINAL POST:
I called my parents yesterday - they were in Florida not far from the tornado zone and I wanted to make sure they were ok. They're fine, but my stepdad told me that the storm had wiped out a group of 18 Whooping Cranes that are part of the efforts to re-establish a flock in eastern North America. This is a catastophic impact - at last count there were only 81 individuals in the Eastern population. Here's more info:
http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment